Welcome

This is the newly setup blog to split up the creative process of my film I have up my sleeve for my MA and currently working towards. It will hopefully be updated regulary, the old posts will get updated as the designing of the film continues. As the design stage phase closes, this'll probably have thumbnails, storyboards, animatics and linetests to detail the film coming into existence more and more.
If you look to the right of this text, you'll find a summary of posts of the project carried out so far to date for easy navigation, underneath that is what I've been looking at in order to design the film's look and general inspiration.

Friday 19 February 2010

Skyline Canvas Concept Art

Today I decided to incite a terrible act against 99p acquired canvas. I tried to paint on it.

This is the result of about 3 layers of each colour in (also cheap bought) watercolours with a brush with cheap hair which kept on falling out as I used it. This is not the finished painting. This is also the first time I've ever scanned a canvas, which felt odd and then I had to colour correct the picture with my best freeware image tool in the world that I couldn't do without; Irfanview.

This is the 'shifted outline' ink stage of it. Nearly every building was given a different amount and position of 'shifting'. The picture looks better already if you ask me. Looks very 'impressionist'. I'm sure someone could get/has gotten rich doing simple things like this.
I like the light green building with the gap. Some very different shapes used for this.

I started adding the little details keeping the windows inside the outline. Doing the 'easy' buildings first.

I started alternating patterns of windows to make the buildings all look interesting and have a different 'personality', my painting was beginning to shape up now.

And so, this is the finished painting. Not a bad piece of concept art. I guess the logical thing to do from this point would be to mess about with it with computer software and see what can come out of it. Who knows, you may even see parts of the painting in the finished animation.

It was quite nice to experiment on canvas again, as I hadn't done it for years, hopefully, if the next ideas of paintings shape up, you'll see more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment