Welcome

This is the newly setup blog to split up the creative process of my film I have up my sleeve for my MA and currently working towards. It will hopefully be updated regulary, the old posts will get updated as the designing of the film continues. As the design stage phase closes, this'll probably have thumbnails, storyboards, animatics and linetests to detail the film coming into existence more and more.
If you look to the right of this text, you'll find a summary of posts of the project carried out so far to date for easy navigation, underneath that is what I've been looking at in order to design the film's look and general inspiration.

Tuesday 16 February 2010

Playing with Rainbows and Landscapes

Hurrah! I've started drawing again and EVERYTHING is flowing out. I'm taking a break right now just to upload these files as they are AWESOME. By that I mean, they contain EVERYTHING I've been trying to communicate design wise in this project.


In this image, I've just started looking at the 'shifted outline' look of the buildings, I think it works, it somehow suggests the area is busy. At the same time, the industrial station just stays above without looking 'shifted'. I think this is a perfect contrast between the busy buildings of humanity and the industrial look of the Suits stations.


I was trying to figure out how the Boys could 'harness' the rainbow, in the original script I have, they just manage to drink it by accident. Here are two alternative ways of the discovery taking place.
The first one is just shining the rainbow inside a glass with a magnifying glass, instead of pouring it. This may be the way the boys 'pour' the drink for their drink stall in Act two of the animation. The second image is a boy fishing and accidentally 'peeling' the rainbow by grabbing the reflection with the hook and then taking it from the sky leaving the ominous black gaps where rainbows once were.

Credit to Shaun McCarroll for the great fishing concept. Had that one playing in my mind for a bit.


I redrew these in Flash, this time using real block, straightened shapes with the rectangle tool, I think the drawn one was better, but I'm quite free for compromise, I can't afford everything to look JUST RIGHT, a little bit slanted, some colour missing, etc. But hey, I've got a graphics tablet and pen if I choose to do that.
Anyway, seems like I drew the 'Rig incorrectly, which is a shame as it ruins the original sketches composition.

I don't think the blue background works as good as the white. Besides, there's enough colour in this animation as I see it. I think that the white just works better, anyway. feedback appreciated and I'll see about asking about this.

Re-edited 16/Feb/10 22:53





0 comments:

Post a Comment