Welcome

This is the newly setup blog to split up the creative process of my film I have up my sleeve for my MA and currently working towards. It will hopefully be updated regulary, the old posts will get updated as the designing of the film continues. As the design stage phase closes, this'll probably have thumbnails, storyboards, animatics and linetests to detail the film coming into existence more and more.
If you look to the right of this text, you'll find a summary of posts of the project carried out so far to date for easy navigation, underneath that is what I've been looking at in order to design the film's look and general inspiration.

Wednesday 10 February 2010

The Boss Suit

The Boss suit is pretty much what his name is. This is the major antagonist that originally buys the rights of the rainbows from the kids. In the original script, he didn't turn up until the very end scene. In a later version and the one I'm currently working on now, The Boss Suit turns up in act 2 and appears to be a kind, eccentric millionaire. Only to cheat the kid who gets given the cheque in a short amount of time after the initial purchase.
Even though at the time of typing, I don't consider the Suits to be fully designed, I'm rather near to having Boss Suit designed after having the theatre face idea and for his design to reflect more onto the 'lower level suits' in later stages.

This face was actually based off a sketch my friend Dan made as a pure accident. He didn't see a face on his page, he actually meant it to be a collection of lines to show the direction and movement on his storyboard, I quickly copied the angular lines added eyes and made this to get the look locked in my head.
Obviously, this guy looks far too friendly, but the theatre face look from the lower suits is still there.


This is the next stage of The Boss. Still being inspired by the look of Herge's Tintin series, I tried to make a character that could suddely back stab, like how the characters suddenly twist and previous friendly allies of Tintin quickly become enemies.


Next, I gave The Boss uneven eyes and kept the rest of the elements I feel made him look like a rich, spoiled, angered type. I really liked the direction of this and I don't see it changing too much.


Here's that lying, scum version of The Boss again, just at the bottom left. Boy, does this character change in a short amount of time. I probably have to ask in relation to the cigar because of the general rule of smoking not being allowed in stuff children can see these days, but I still see a cigar as part of a strong stereotype of an impatient, dominant character. I mean, look, they edit cigars out of Tom and Jerry cartoons now.



Here's a somewhat deep in thinking version of The Boss. I like the way his mouth becomes nothing but a tilted angle here, much like the Drink Man.


Here's a version of The Boss with his mouth outstretched, still looking as untrustworthy.


Another expression test of The Boss here, such a disapproving look in this one. "Vee are NOT amused", I can read.


A sketch of the guy trying to explain himself, I can see a really strong 10th Doctor like "...Welllll...".


So far in the production of this animation, I really LOVE ties. I think they add so much character, here the boss is grabbing his tie and straightening it. He's really starting to look evil at this point.


By now in this blog, you'll see I have a terrible habit of designing a character from the head downwards, I'm not sure if this is usual practice for character designing but this time around I finally put a body to the face, built out of many triangles. He's really starting to look like a business type now, I love the way his hands are pretty much merged to his trousers.



A little test to see how much I can 'push' the expression on the guy, although he does look like a Cheshire cat here, it seems to work. This was originally going to be a conversion of him at the end of the film, but feedback said that this villian was best to have an unfriendly comeuppance, more on that later. It's a good one. Involves being ironically locked away for those curious.


The Boss Suit in all his prime, look at that, you DON'T want to mess with HIM. Again, grabbing his tie appears to be part of his body language, saying "Lets get this sorted". Big hands and feet make him a threatening looking character and I made a 'Brucie' bump on his chin which I think seems to work. I can't wait to do the model sheets for this guy.

Originally Edited - 10/FEB/10 - More to be added over time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment